Python Data Analysis Library¶
pandas is an open source, BSD-licensed library providing high-performance, easy-to-use data structures and data analysis tools for the Python programming language.
We are proud to announce that pandas has become a sponsored project of the (NUMFocus organization). This will help ensure the success of development of pandas as a world-class open-source project.
0.17.1 Final (November 20, 2015)¶
This is a minor bug-fix release from 0.17.0 and includes a large number of bug fixes along several new features, enhancements, and performance improvements. We recommend that all users upgrade to this version.
- Support for Conditional HTML Formatting, see here
- Releasing the GIL on the csv reader & other ops, see here
- Fixed regression in DataFrame.drop_duplicates from 0.16.2, causing incorrect results on integer values GH11376
See the Whatsnew for much more information.
Best way to Install¶
Best way to get pandas is to install via conda Builds for osx-64,linux-64,linux-32,win-64,win-32 for Python 2.6,Python 2.7, Python 3.3, Python 3.4, and Python 3.5 are all available.
conda install pandas
What problem does pandas solve?¶
Python has long been great for data munging and preparation, but less so for data analysis and modeling. pandas helps fill this gap, enabling you to carry out your entire data analysis workflow in Python without having to switch to a more domain specific language like R.
Combined with the excellent IPython toolkit and other libraries, the environment for doing data analysis in Python excels in performance, productivity, and the ability to collaborate.
pandas does not implement significant modeling functionality outside of linear and panel regression; for this, look to statsmodels and scikit-learn. More work is still needed to make Python a first class statistical modeling environment, but we are well on our way toward that goal.
What do our users have to say?¶
“We use pandas to process time series data on our production servers. The simplicity and elegance of its API, and its high level of performance for high-volume datasets, made it a perfect choice for us.”
- A fast and efficient DataFrame object for data manipulation with integrated indexing;
- Tools for reading and writing data between in-memory data structures and different formats: CSV and text files, Microsoft Excel, SQL databases, and the fast HDF5 format;
- Intelligent data alignment and integrated handling of missing data: gain automatic label-based alignment in computations and easily manipulate messy data into an orderly form;
- Flexible reshaping and pivoting of data sets;
- Intelligent label-based slicing, fancy indexing, and subsetting of large data sets;
- Columns can be inserted and deleted from data structures for size mutability;
- Aggregating or transforming data with a powerful group by engine allowing split-apply-combine operations on data sets;
- High performance merging and joining of data sets;
- Hierarchical axis indexing provides an intuitive way of working with high-dimensional data in a lower-dimensional data structure;
- Time series-functionality: date range generation and frequency conversion, moving window statistics, moving window linear regressions, date shifting and lagging. Even create domain-specific time offsets and join time series without losing data;
- Highly optimized for performance, with critical code paths written in Cython or C.
- Python with pandas is in use in a wide variety of academic and commercial domains, including Finance, Neuroscience, Economics, Statistics, Advertising, Web Analytics, and more.